Sunday August 6th, 2000
Benetton driver, Alexander Wurz, injured his leg yesterday, during the third and final day of testing at the Spanish Valencia circuit. However, the Austrian is reported to be well, and a Benetton spokeswoman said he will take part in the upcoming Hungarian Grand Prix.
Wurz, who set the second fastest time of the day - behind teammate Giancarlo Fisichella - spun off in the afternoon and hit the tyre wall. The impact caused the wishbone of the car to hit his right leg, and he was taken to the circuit hospital, where it initially appears that, while the wishbone hit the muscle and bone, it did not cause a breakage. He was then taken to the local hospital in Valencia for x-rays.
McLaren's David Coulthard also crashed during the session after his rear wing broke off. He escaped uninjured.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Fisichella Benetton-Playlife 1:15.78 39
2. Wurz Benetton-Playlife 1:15.97 38
3. Verstappen Arrows-Supertec 1:16.16 40
4. Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes 1:16.59 26
5. Burti Jaguar-Cosworth 1:16.91 50
6. Bernoldi Sauber-Petronas 1:17.31 62
7. R.Schumacher Williams-BMW 1:17.44 47