Friday July 14th, 2000
Barrichello sets the early pace
Rubens Barrichello set the quickest time in the first of the day?s two free practice sessions this morning the Brazilian trying different aerodynamic set-up to his team-mate as he worked on race testing with three 7 laps runs throughout the session. Michael Schumacher was fifth fastest, he also working on a similar program and getting the feel of a brand new chassis (204), which he shook down for the first time at Fiorano last week.
Trulli second quickest for Jordan
Jarno Trulli and Heinz-Harald Frentzen had a trouble free session, neither driver running the revised aerodynamic package tried at Silverstone last week. The Jordan Mugen-Hondas were in ?standard? trim but for a revised evolution two engine which the team are hoping are going to put them closer to the front end of the grid. They used the session to experiment with different balance set-ups as the grip level of the track went up.
New aerodynamics for BAR
The BAR team were using a revised aerodynamic package for their cars at this race, which they had also tried at Silverstone last week. Both drivers were happy with the results, Ricardo Zonta third fastest this morning while a relaxed Villeneuve played with set-ups throughout the morning, confident he could run a lot quicker.
Arrows well up
Jos Verstappen was delighted with his car after setting the fourth fastest time. He worked on brake balance during the session, otherwise had a trouble free session. Pedro de la Rosa was not so happy back in 17th place, the Spaniard blaming too much under steer-in the slow and medium speed corners for his slow time.
Troubled session for McLaren
Mika Hakkinen did only one lap when his McLaren-Mercedes expired with a mechanical fuel pump problem just like Coulthard had in France. Coulthard was delighted with his car, which he set the sixth fastest time with, but then could not make a final quick run because of a hydraulic system problem.
The Williams team seem to be struggling on this track, Ralf Schumacher having two off course excursions on his way to a slow 21st place and unhappy with too much understeer. Button was learning the circuit, but still managed a more creditable 13th fastest. Fisichella lost time with a punctured rear right tyre, but took seventh fastest, his Benetton teammate complaining of no grip and only 11th at his home track.
Diniz had to change the set-up of his car after heading off in the wrong direction, his teammate Salo lucky to have a car after running over a kerb and banging the undertray, the kerb having been raised since last year. The prost team was using the Evo 3 engines to day, but plan to run the latest Evo 4 Peugeots for qualifying. The cars also had a revised exhaust exit under the car, but were still well of the pace in 18th and 19th place. Weather was grey and overcast, with rain expected later in the day.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. Barrichello Ferrari 1:13.603 211.589 km/h
2. Trulli Jordan Mugen-Honda 1:13.840 + 0.237
3. Zonta BAR Honda 1:14.046 + 0.443
4. Verstappen Arrows Supertec 1:14.048 + 0.445
5. M.Schumacher Ferrari 1:14.214 + 0.611
6. Coulthard McLaren Mercedes 1:14.282 + 0.679
7. Fisichella Benetton Playlife 1:14.306 + 0.703
8. Herbert Jaguar Cosworth 1:14.661 + 1.058
9. Villeneuve BAR Honda 1:14.810 + 1.207
10. Salo Sauber Petronas 1:14.833 + 1.230
11. Wurz Benetton Playlife 1:14.901 + 1.298
12. Mazzacane Minardi Fondmetal 1:14.956 + 1.353
13. Button Williams BMW 1:15.004 + 1.401
14. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth 1:15.068 + 1.465
15. Frentzen Jordan Mugen-Honda 1:15.106 + 1.503
16. Diniz Sauber Petronas 1:15.141 + 1.538
17. de la Rosa Arrows Supertec 1:15.173 + 1.570
18. Alesi Prost Peugeot 1:15.275 + 1.672
19. Heidfeld Prost Peugeot 1:15.463 + 1.860
20. R.Schumacher Williams BMW 1:15.803 + 2.200
21. Mazzacane Minardi Fondmetal 1:15.844 + 2.241
22. Hakkinin McLaren Mercedes No Time
All Timing Unofficial