Saturday July 29th, 2000
Michael Schumacher crashed in front of his home crowd on Saturday as title rival Mika Hakkinen went fastest in the final free practice for Sunday's German Formula One Grand Prix.
The 31-year-old Ferrari driver spun off backwards into the barriers at the Opel Kurve in the 'stadium' section of the Hockenheimring circuit in the final seconds of the session as he attempted to improve on his time.
The championship leader lost control and his car hit the barriers in the impact, losing the rear wing.
Schumacher walked away solemnly from the accident, grim-faced but unhurt, less than an hour after his younger brother Ralf has also spun his Williams off in a similar accident that snapped off his rear wing.
Double world champion Hakkinen of Finland, in his McLaren, had a best lap of one minute and 41.658 seconds, three-tenths of a second ahead of second fastest Schumacher's best time.
Hakkinen's team-mate Briton David Coulthard was third-fastest in the second McLaren ahead of Brazilian Rubens Barrichello in the second Ferrari.
German Heinz-Harald Frentzen was fifth in his Jordan and Italian Giancarlo Fisichella sixth.
Fisichella's car suffered an apparent engine failure, however, at the close of the session when he idled to a halt with smoke billowing from his Benetton.
Frenchman Jean Alesi in a Prost, also spun off early in the session when he lost control of the car under braking while the circuit was still damp following Friday's torrential rain.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. Hakkinen McLaren Mercedes 1:41.658 241.693 km/h
2. M.Schumacher Ferrari 1:41.932 + 0.274
3. Coulthard McLaren Mercedes 1:41.971 + 0.313
4. Barrichello Ferrari 1:42.340 + 0.682
5. Frentzen Jordan Mugen-Honda 1:42.446 + 0.788
6. Fisichella Benetton Playlife 1:42.613 + 0.955
7. Button Williams BMW 1:42.617 + 0.959
8. Salo Sauber Petronas 1:42.877 + 1.219
9. Villeneuve BAR Honda 1:42.878 + 1.220
10. Trulli Jordan Mugen-Honda 1:42.903 + 1.245
11. Verstappen Arrows Supertec 1:43.175 + 1.517
12. de la Rosa Arrows Supertec 1:43.438 + 1.780
13. Zonta BAR Honda 1:43.534 + 1.876
14. Diniz Sauber Petronas 1:43.554 + 1.896
15. Wurz Benetton Playlife 1:43.623 + 1.965
16. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth 1:44.049 + 2.391
17. Heidfeld Prost Peugeot 1:44.174 + 2.516
18. Alesi Prost Peugeot 1:44.515 + 2.857
19. Gene Minardi Fondmetal 1:44.591 + 2.933
20. Mazzacane Minardi Fondmetal 1:45.000 + 3.342
21. Herbert Jaguar Cosworth 1:45.234 + 3.576
22. R.Schumacher Williams BMW 1:52.141 + 10.483
All Timing Unofficial