Sunday April 1st, 2001
Michael Schumacher set the fastest time in Sunday morning warm-up for the Brazilian Grand Prix as the Ferrari driver outlined his dominance on the Interlagos circuit.
The German was quickest throughout most of the session but dropped the fastest time to below one minute-16 seconds in the final moments. Team-mate Rubens Barrichello was second fastest, 0.174 seconds off the top pace.
McLaren driver Mika Hakkinen was third fastest, with front row member Ralf Schumacher in fourth spot. Briton Jenson Button was slowest in his Benetton, more than four seconds off the elder Schumacher.
All the drivers except for Barrichello and British American Racing driver Olivier Panis came out immediately onto the track at the start of the session in temperatures of 22 degrees Celsius.
Panis' team-mate Jacques Villeneuve set the early pace as drivers made final checks to their race set-up, before Heinz-Harald Frentzen, Mika Hakkinen, David Coulthard and Schumacher all took turns in top spot during the first two-thirds of the session.
Schumacher switched to the spare car with 13 minutes of the half-hour session remaining before improving his best time.
Spaniard Fernando Alonso struggled with the handling of his Minardi and went off into the gravel with three minutes remaining, coming to a halt next to the tyre wall in a rather uneventful warm-up session.
Pos. Driver Team Times
1. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:15.971 204.188 km/h
2. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:16.145 + 0.174
3. Hakkinen McLaren Mercedes (B) 1:16.308 + 0.337
4. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:16.375 + 0.404
5. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:16.449 + 0.478
6. Coulthard McLaren Mercedes (B) 1:16.679 + 0.708
7. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:16.711 + 0.740
8. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:17.008 + 1.037
9. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:17.135 + 1.164
10. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) 1:17.138 + 1.167
11. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:17.213 + 1.242
12. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:17.405 + 1.434
13. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:17.420 + 1.449
14. Burti Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:17.674 + 1.703
15. Mazzacane Prost Acer (M) 1:17.681 + 1.710
16. Alesi Prost Acer (M) 1:17.728 + 1.757
17. Alonso European Minardi (M) 1:18.016 + 2.045
18. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:18.074 + 2.103
19. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:18.460 + 2.489
20. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:18.773 + 2.802
21. Marques European Minardi (M) 1:19.126 + 3.155
22. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:20.008 + 4.037
All timing unofficial