Friday August 17th, 2001
Michael Schumacher topped the timesheets in first free practice as McLaren rival David Coulthard brought the session to a halt on Friday after hitting a kerb and scattering debris across the track.
The Scot, whose almost extinguished Championship hopes could be finally snuffed out by Ferrari's Schumacher on Sunday, smashed his rear diffuser with five minutes of the hour to run. The practice was then stopped to clear the track and retrieve Coulthard's stranded car.
Schumacher, who could secure his fourth Formula One world title this weekend with a record-equalling 51st win, and Brazilian teammate Rubens Barrichello dominated the timesheets. Schumacher was fastest in 1:16.995 ahead of Barrichello in 1:17.290 and the McLarens of Mika Hakkinen and Coulthard in 1:17.606 and 1:18.182 respectively.
The times compared to Schumacher's 2000 pole of 1:17.514.
France's Jean Alesi earlier provided one of the highlights, or low points for team owner Eddie Jordan, when he dumped his car in the gravel after just four laps of his competitive debut with Jordan. Alesi skidded at turn 13 of the tight and twisting Hungaroring and slid backwards into the gravel trap with just 17 minutes gone.
The 37-year-old, who moved from Prost to replace the sacked German Heinz-Harald Frentzen, climbed out of the car and removed his helmet before walking back to the Jordan pits in the searing heat. Frentzen, who has moved to Prost for the last five races, made the most of his first real drive in the Ferrari-powered car by lapping faster than Brazilian teammate Luciano Burti and Alesi.
The German's time of 1:21.540 compared to Burti's 1:21.986 and Alesi's 1:21.590.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:16.995 185.856 km/h
2. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:17.290 + 0.295
3. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:17.606 + 0.611
4. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:18.182 + 1.187
5. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:18.456 + 1.461
6. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:18.851 + 1.856
7. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:19.430 + 2.435
8. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:19.460 + 2.465
9. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:19.707 + 2.712
10. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:19.971 + 2.976
11. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:19.996 + 3.001
12. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:20.308 + 3.313
13. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:20.706 + 3.711
14. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:20.935 + 3.940
15. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:21.204 + 4.209
16. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:21.211 + 4.216
17. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:21.324 + 4.329
18. Frentzen Prost Acer (M) 1:21.540 + 4.545
19. Alesi Jordan Honda (B) 1:21.590 + 4.595
20. Burti Prost Acer (M) 1:21.986 + 4.991
21. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:22.215 + 5.220
22. Marques Minardi European (M) 1:22.748 + 5.753
All Timing Unofficial
Published at 10:08:25 GMT