Saturday August 18th, 2001
McLaren's David Coulthard hit back at dominant Michael Schumacher as he ended the final practice session ahead of Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying at the top of the timesheets.
Coulthard, who lost most of Friday following a major accident, reduced Schumacher's best time by 0.2 seconds to gain the upper hand before the all-important qualifying session.
Despite a late effort, Schumacher could manage only second fastest with his team-mate Rubens Barrichello one place behind in the second Ferrari. Nick Heidfeld continued his impressive pace as he clocked fourth fastest time for Sauber, while Mika Hakkinen was fifth quickest.
Jarno Trulli was sixth for Jordan with his new team-mate Jean Alesi down in 16th place, one spot below the man he replaced at Jordan, Heinz-Harald Frentzen in a Prost. Schumacher had his second off-track excursion of the weekend seven minutes into the session when he pushed too hard coming out of turn six, the same place he went off on Friday.
Five minutes later and it was a brace of Schumacher offs as Michael's younger brother Ralf spun into the gravel at turn nine to end his session early as he was unable to drive out. Tarso Marques continued to struggle and after five off-track excursions on Friday, he had another at turn nine 26 minutes into the session.
Coulthard moved to the top of the times midway through the session as he finally got to grips with his car after Friday's disaster.
Michael Schumacher, now pushing in an effort to retain his clean sheet of top times, then had another off as he spun onto the grass at turn 12, but kept the engine running.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:15.263 190.133 km/h
2. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:15.466 + 0.203
3. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:15.650 + 0.387
4. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:15.821 + 0.558
5. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:15.839 + 0.576
6. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:16.021 + 0.758
7. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:16.033 + 0.770
8. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:16.098 + 0.835
9. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:16.471 + 1.208
10. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:16.513 + 1.250
11. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:16.578 + 1.315
12. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:16.581 + 1.318
13. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:16.619 + 1.356
14. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:17.087 + 1.824
15. Frentzen Prost Acer (M) 1:17.203 + 1.940
16. Alesi Jordan Honda (B) 1:17.334 + 2.071
17. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:17.549 + 2.286
18. Burti Prost Acer (M) 1:17.992 + 2.729
19. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:18.234 + 2.971
20. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:18.533 + 3.270
21. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:18.954 + 3.691
22. Marques Minardi European (M) 1:19.153 + 3.890
All Timing Unofficial
Published at 09:03:54 GMT