Thursday February 8th, 2001
Minardi's new driver Fernando Alonso said on Thursday he was more concerned about driving well in the new Formula One season than about getting results.
Alonso, who will become the third youngest driver ever to join Formula One, also asked for patience.
"I know that it will be very difficult to achieve anything notable next season," the 19-year-old driver told Spanish sports daily As.
"I hope people will have patience with me because I will be starting from the back row of the grid.
"That doesn't bother me, though, because my only aim is to drive well and finish races. I am not going to get worried about results."
The Spaniard, confirmed as a Minardi driver on Wednesday, said he was disappointed that he would not be joined at the team by compatriot Pedro de la Rosa.
De la Rosa, who was dropped by the Arrows team at the end of last month, has decided to take up an offer to be a test driver for the Prost team.
"It would have been good to drive alongside De la Rosa because I could have learned a lot from him but in the end he preferred to take the opportunity given to him by Prost," said Alonso.
Minardi have yet to confirm a second driver for the season which opens with the Australian Grand Prix on March 4.