Sunday July 15th, 2001
David Coulthard, in a McLaren Mercedes-Benz, topped the times in Sunday morning's warm-up for the British Grand Prix when he clocked a best time of 1:22.994 ahead of Italian Jarno Trulli in a Jordan-Honda.
The Briton, chasing his third successive victory in the British race at Silverstone, was in determined mood on a dry and partly-sunlit morning at the old Northamptonshire circuit where the improved conditions were a welcome change after two days of cold and wet weather.
The air temperature was only 13 degrees Celsius and the track temperature 16 degrees as the session unfolded with German Heinz-Harald Frentzen setting the early pace in his Jordan before the McLarens made their impression on the action.
Finn Mika Hakkinen moved to the top of the times midway through the session before Coulthard, fired up by his home crowd, pushed his way ahead in the closing minutes. Coulthard topped the times with an advantage of 0.188 seconds ahead of Trulli with Hakkinen third ahead of Frentzen.
Michael Schumacher, seeking only his second victory at Silverstone and starting the race on pole for the first time in pursuit of his record-equalling 51st career victory, was fifth in his Ferrari ahead of Frenchman Olivier Panis in a BAR-Honda, Finn Kim Raikkonen in a Sauber and Ralf Schumacher in a Williams-BMW.
The only incident in the session came after 10 minutes when German Nick Heidfeld, in the second Sauber, spun off at Stowe corner.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:22.994 222.999 km/h
2. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:23.182 + 0.188
3. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:23.416 + 0.422
4. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) 1:24.052 + 1.058
5. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:24.407 + 1.413
6. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:24.598 + 1.604
7. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:24.609 + 1.615
8. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:24.631 + 1.637
9. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:24.657 + 1.663
10. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:25.147 + 2.153
11. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:25.217 + 2.223
12. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:25.260 + 2.266
13. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:25.581 + 2.587
14. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:25.658 + 2.664
15. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:25.734 + 2.740
16. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:26.463 + 3.469
17. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:26.988 + 3.994
18. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:27.198 + 4.204
19. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:27.987 + 4.993
20. Alesi Prost Acer (M) 1:28.060 + 5.066
21. Burti Prost Acer (M) 1:28.240 + 5.246
All Timing Unofficial
Published at 10:11:26 GMT