Friday June 8th, 2001
David Coulthard and Rubens Barrichello turned in the fastest laps of the opening free practice for the Canadian Grand Prix, knocking defending champion Michael Schumacher off the top spot in the final seconds.
Jacques Villeneuve crashed hard Friday but walked away without injury. The Canadian-born driver's car slid off track and clipped the nose off his BAR Honda. His team prepared his spare car for the afternoon practice.
"It seems like something broke on the car or Jacques made a mistake. These things happen," said BAR boss Craig Pollock.
Coulthard is working hard to catch Schumacher in the Formula One championship battle. He recorded a lap of 1:18.763 seconds on the 2.747-mile Circuit Gilles Villeneuve moments before the checkered flag flew for the first of two Friday practice.
Before a large crowd enjoying nearly cloudless skies, Ferrari's Barrichello followed the McLaren driver across the finish line. He was timed in 1:19.140, relegating Schumacher's Ferrari to third at 1:19.166. Mika Hakkinen, Coulthard's teammate, was fourth at 1:19.569, followed by Oliver Panis, Villeneuve's BAR teammate, at 1:20.119.
Williams drivers Ralf Schumacher and rookie Juan Pablo Montoya, both expected to contend, were ninth and 10th, respectively, in the unofficial session. Michael Schumacher's younger brother produced a fast lap of 1:20.665, while Montoya, the 1999 CART champion and last year's Indianapolis 500 winner, was at 1:20.822.
Villeneuve's fastest lap before the crash was 1:21.916. Arrows driver Jos Vertstappen was unable to set a time due to a mechanical failure.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:18.763 202.069 km/h
2. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:19.140 + 0.377
3. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:19.166 + 0.403
4. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:19.569 + 0.806
5. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:20.119 + 1.356
6. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:20.378 + 1.615
7. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:20.513 + 1.750
8. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:20.515 + 1.752
9. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:20.665 + 1.902
10. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:20.822 + 2.059
11. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) 1:20.909 + 2.146
12. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:21.046 + 2.283
13. Alesi Prost Acer (M) 1:21.412 + 2.649
14. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:21.622 + 2.859
15. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:21.916 + 3.153
16. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:22.016 + 3.253
17. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:22.337 + 3.574
18. Burti Prost Acer (M) 1:22.696 + 3.933
19. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:22.816 + 4.053
20. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:32.967 + 14.204
21. Marques Minardi European (M) 1:35.472 + 16.709
22. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) no time
All Timing Unofficial