Friday June 8th, 2001
The McLaren team put in just the performance they needed to help forget about their off-circuit concerns when their silver and black cars topped the times in Friday's free practice session for the Canadian Grand Prix.
Mika Hakkinen led the way with a fastest time that beat the outright lap record around the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. He was the only man to break into the one minute seventeen second bracket and finished four tenths of a second ahead of David Coulthard.
Coulthard set the early place once again as he bettered his time from the first session but, after a brief off when pushing too hard, he dropped down the order as his rivals pushed the limits further.
Rubens Barrichello and, impressively, the Jaguar of Eddie Irvine both had spells at the top before Hakkinen climbed up to settle on the top spot with Coulthard moving back up to second.
Jordan's Jarno Trulli shook off a brief excursion onto the grass to move well into the top ten, but a late shuffle saw the Williams cars and his teammate Heinz-Harald Frentzen knock him down the order.
Irvine, continuing to impress in the Jaguar, netted the third fastest time, just ahead of Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello, with the Williams pairing of Juan Pablo Montoya and Ralf Schumacher fifth and sixth respectively.
Championship leader Michael Schumacher was only eleventh quickest with the second Ferrari, nearly 1.5 seconds behind Hakkinen's time.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:17.672 204.908 km/h
2. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:18.086 + 0.414
3. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:18.508 + 0.836
4. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:18.570 + 0.898
5. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:18.639 + 0.967
6. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:18.967 + 1.295
7. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:18.967 + 1.295
8. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:18.990 + 1.318
9. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) 1:19.057 + 1.385
10. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:19.102 + 1.430
11. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:19.166 + 1.494
12. Alesi Prost Acer (M) 1:19.209 + 1.537
13. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:19.427 + 1.755
14. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:19.707 + 2.035
15. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:20.561 + 2.889
16. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:20.561 + 2.889
17. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:21.259 + 3.587
18. Burti Prost Acer (M) 1:21.280 + 3.608
19. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:21.916 + 4.244
20. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:22.206 + 4.534
21. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:22.766 + 5.094
22. Marques Minardi European (M) 1:25.415 + 7.743
All Timing Unofficial