Thursday June 21st, 2001
Jacques Villeneuve claimed on Thursday his highly-publicised spat with Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya in Montreal was now history, although he could not resist another dig at the Williams driver.
The two clashed physically at the drivers' briefing in Canada having exchanged insults after their cars touched on the track in practice. They were warned that they would get a two-race suspension if they clashed again. Villeneuve said he had not spoken to Montoya since then but made clear there had been no reconciliation.
"The only time I spoke to him was at the drivers' briefing," Villeneuve said. "It's always been finished. If it hadn't been I'd have spent my time with journalists making up stories. But I let the other side do that, not me."
Villeneuve said he was not expecting anything to develop between the two drivers on the track.
"It should be okay, I guess there have been some messages both ways and there shouldn't be any problems on the track. I don't see why there should be. Well, I hope there won't be. There's no vengeance or stuff like that, that would be pretty stupid."