Saturday March 3rd, 2001
Defending world champion Michael Schumacher showed no ill-effects from his high-speed shunt in Friday's practice by topping the times on Saturday in the first morning free session, ahead of Sunday's season opening Australian Grand Prix.
The triple world champion, in his Ferrari, clocked a best time of 1:28.134 seconds to finish ahead of nearest rival Briton David Coulthard, on another dry and clear day at the Albert Park street circuit.
Coulthard's McLaren teammate Mika Hakkinen was third fastest ahead of Jarno Trulli in a Jordan Honda, Jacques Villeneuve in a BAR Honda and Olivier Panis in the second BAR.
Schumacher's lap was the fastest all-time unofficial time recorded at the track, cutting nearly half a second off the previous best set in 1997 by Villeneuve, in a Williams, when 'slick' tyres were permitted.
Schumacher's Ferrari teammate Brazilian Rubens Barrichello was down in eighth place on the time sheets, after suffering an engine failure during the session and pulling to a halt. Dutchman Jos Verstappen in an Arrows also halted early on, and German Heinz-Harald Frentzen, in a Jordan, pulled up after a wild spin in the closing stages.
Pos. Driver Team Times
1. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:28.134 216.611 km/h
2. Coulthard McLaren Mercedes (B) 1:28.852 + 0.718
3. Hakkinen McLaren Mercedes (B) 1:29.231 + 1.097
4. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:29.459 + 1.325
5. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:29.465 + 1.331
6. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:29.600 + 1.466
7. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) 1:29.868 + 1.734
8. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:29.945 + 1.811
9. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:30.188 + 2.054
10. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:30.190 + 2.056
11. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:30.208 + 2.074
12. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:30.360 + 2.226
13. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:31.590 + 3.456
14. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:31.599 + 3.465
15. Alesi Prost Acer (M) 1:32.113 + 3.979
16. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:32.130 + 3.996
17. Burti Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:32.274 + 4.140
18. Alonso European Minardi (M) 1:32.350 + 4.216
19. Mazzacane Prost Acer (M) 1:34.431 + 6.297
20. Marques European Minardi (M) 1:35.028 + 6.894
21. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:57.479 + 29.345
22. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 13:51.787 + 12:23.653
All timing unofficial