Sunday March 4th, 2001
Formula One debutant Kimi Raikkonen has been promoted into the points after a protest from the Sauber team was accepted by the stewards at the Australian Grand Prix.
The Swiss team, whose drivers finished fifth and seventh on the track, complained that British American Racing's Olivier Panis had illegally overtaken their driver Nick Heidfeld under waved yellow flags after Enrique Bernoldi's accident on lap 2.
The officials interviewed the drivers and studied video evidence of the incident before deciding to uphold the protest and drop BAR's Panis to seventh place with the addition of 25 seconds to the Frenchman's finish time.
That promoted Heidfeld to fourth, Jordan's Heinz-Harald Frentzen to fifth, and allowed Heidfeld's team-mate Raikkonen into the points from seventh to sixth.
Arrows' Jos Verstappen was also given a 25-second penalty after a similar infringement with Heidfeld. He dropped down a place down to 10th with Prost's Jean Alesi moving up to ninth.
The changes to the result now leaves Sauber with four world championship points, two thirds of their total tally for last year.
AMMENDED RESULTS AND STANDINGS
Pos Driver Team Time
1. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1h38:26.533
2. Coulthard McLaren Mercedes (B) + 0:01.700
3. Barrichello Ferrari (B) + 0:33.400
4. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) + 1:11.400
5. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) + 1:12.800
6. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) + 1:24.100
7. Panis BAR Honda (B) + 1:27.000 *
8. Burti Jaguar Cosworth (M) + 1 Lap
9. Alesi Prost Acer (M) + 1 Lap
10. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) + 1 Lap *
11. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) + 1 Lap
12. Alonso European Minardi (M) + 2 Laps
13. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) + 3 Laps
14. Button Benetton Renault (M) + 6 Laps **
* Penalised 25s for overtaking under yellow
** Retired 6 laps before race finished
Fastest Lap: M.Schumacher, 1:28.214 (216.414 km/h), lap 34
Driver Team On Lap
Montoya Williams BMW (M) 41
Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 39
Hakkinen McLaren Mercedes (B) 26
R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 5
Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 5
Marques European Minardi (M) 4
Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 3
Mazzacane Prost Acer (M) 1
World Championship Standing, Round 1:
1. M.Schumacher 10 1. Ferrari 14
2. Coulthard 6 2. McLaren 6
3. Barrichello 4 3. Sauber 4
4. Heidfeld 3 4. Jordan 2
5. Frentzen 2
6. Raikkonen 1
All timing unofficial