Sunday March 18th, 2001
Brazilian Rubens Barrichello topped the times in Sunday morning's warm-up in advance of the Malaysian Grand Prix, clocking a best time of 1:49.763 seconds in his Ferrari, outpacing nearest rival David Coulthard by a second.
On a day of drying conditions following heavy overnight showers, the session took place on a wet and dry circuit with most drivers running on intermediate tyres. As a result, the final positions offered few clues to the likely outcome of the second race of the year.
Defending World Champion and pole-sitter Michael Schumacher wound up with the seventh best time after, at one stage, clocking a time that left him 4.7 seconds quicker than Coulthard earlier in the session during a period of wetter conditions.
Jarno Trulli was third fastest in a Jordan Honda with Kimi Raikkonen in a Sauber Petronas fourth, ahead of Jos Verstappen in an Arrows Asiatech. Heinz-Harald Frentzen was sixth in the second Jordan. Former world champion Mika Hakkinen was down in 13th place.
The session began with Spaniard Fernando Alonso stopping at the end of the pitlane and trudging back to the pits. Eddie Irvine also suffered a mechanical failure in his Jaguar and had to park his car, while Giancarlo Fisichella in a Benetton Renault provided a small spin, but continued.
As the session ended the circuit began to dry out. It stopped raining, but the sun was not blazing with the same intensity of previous days. The temperature during the session was 25 degrees celsius, the track temperature was 27 degrees and the humidity level was 91%.
Pos. Driver Team Times
1. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:49.763 181.799 km/h
2. Coulthard McLaren Mercedes (B) 1:50.846 + 1.083
3. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:51.046 + 1.283
4. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:51.265 + 1.502
5. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:51.508 + 1.745
6. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) 1:52.061 + 2.298
7. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:52.316 + 2.553
8. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:53.352 + 3.589
9. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:53.470 + 3.707
10. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:53.482 + 3.719
11. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:55.109 + 5.346
12. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:55.278 + 5.515
13. Hakkinen McLaren Mercedes (B) 1:57.064 + 7.301
14. Alesi Prost Acer (M) 1:57.832 + 8.069
15. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:58.322 + 8.559
16. Mazzacane Prost Acer (M) 1:58.416 + 8.653
17. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:58.656 + 8.893
18. Burti Jaguar Cosworth (M) 2:01.120 + 11.357
19. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 2:01.630 + 11.867
20. Alonso European Minardi (M) 2:01.771 + 12.008
21. Marques European Minardi (M) 2:04.349 + 14.586
22. Button Benetton Renault (M) 2:07.047 + 17.284
All timing unofficial