Thursday May 3rd, 2001
A marshal was killed on Thursday after being hit by a car on the Lausitzring track where Italian driver Michele Alboreto died while testing last week. The 43-year-old man was attending a private test session for a German sportscar race, a Lausitzring spokesman said.
Former Formula One driver Alboreto was killed on the same circuit on April 25 while testing for the Le Mans 24-hour race. The marshal, whose identity was not revealed, was hit by a car as he crossed the track to remove mechanical debris left by another vehicle. He was married with two children.
The race security organisation SCOUT, to which the marshal belonged, said he should have stayed off the track as a yellow warming flag had been waved.
"What happened is inexplicable," SCOUT said. "Every marshal knows that going on the track is not allowed when a yellow flag is being waved. Only when a session is interrupted by a red flag can they do that."
Alboreto was at the wheel on a straight section when his Audi R8 suddenly went off the track, hit a fence and flipped over. He was killed instantly. Investigators concluded that a burst tyre had caused the crash.
Lausitzring officials said Alboreto's accident had nothing to do with the circuit, a brand new state-of-the-art facility some 145 kilometres south of Berlin. The track was inaugurated in August last year and presented as the safest circuit in the world.