Wednesday May 9th, 2001
British Formula One driver Jenson Button has hit back at Jackie Stewart's comments concerning his commitment to driving, claiming that he is not distracted by his off-track lifestyle.
Stewart, triple world champion, said Button should concentrate more on his driving if he wants to move up the Formula One grid, adding that it all came too fast for the 21-year old Brit, who made his debut in 2000 with the Williams team.
But Button, who has struggled at the back of the field with the Benetton team so far this season, has responded to Stewart's comments, saying he is as focused as ever.
"Jackie wrote me off last year when he said I was too inexperienced to cope with Formula One and I proved him wrong," Button told The Sun. "I intend to do the same again. The jet-set lifestyle is not my scene. All my time is being taken up with training and testing in a bid to make my team truly competitive.
"For some reason Jackie has always had a downer on me but I am as focused and determined to succeed in Formula One as I have ever been. I was advised to move to Monaco for tax reasons, it's as simple as that. I still try and lead a fairly simple existence.
"The only reason I am earning well now is because I have already shown what I am capable of. I feel I have earned my chance and I will be busting a gut to make the most of it."