Saturday May 12th, 2001
McLaren driver David Coulthard set himself up for today's qualifying for the Austrian Grand Prix in perfect fashion, by topping the times in Saturday practice. Coulthard put in a late lap to move to the top of the timesheets, ahead of Ferrari's Michael Schumacher, who shaved more time off his fastest lap so far.
Rubens Barrichello finished just behind his teammate Schumacher in third, with Mika Hakkinen fourth in the other McLaren, just 0.138 seconds behind Coulthard. Williams driver Juan Pablo Montoya could not improve on his earlier time and ended fifth just ahead of his teammate Ralf Schumacher. The Jordan team came in seventh and eighth, with Heinz-Harald Frentzen beating Jarno Trulli.
Jean Alesi's Prost stopped on the circuit after just ten minutes of the second session, and Eddie Irvine also had a run across the gravel when he locked his right rear wheel. Jos Verstappen's Arrows had to be pulled out of the gravel when he lost it in the inner loop and collided with the tyre wall. Ralf Schumacher spun 180 degrees at turn two, when his car unexpectedly snapped round, but he managed to get going again and return to the pits.
And lastly, an unexpected visitor crossed the track - a reindeer ran across the A1 Ring circuit undisturbed, forcing Williams's Montoya to slow down. The reindeer managed to escape the circuit unharmed.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:10.010 222.448 km/h
2. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:10.039 + 0.029
3. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:10.103 + 0.093
4. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:10.148 + 0.138
5. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:10.391 + 0.381
6. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:10.397 + 0.387
7. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) 1:10.434 + 0.424
8. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:10.751 + 0.741
9. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:10.863 + 0.853
10. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:10.935 + 0.925
11. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:11.351 + 1.341
12. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:11.382 + 1.372
13. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:11.543 + 1.533
14. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:11.831 + 1.821
15. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:11.994 + 1.984
16. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:12.029 + 2.019
17. Burti Prost Acer (M) 1:12.714 + 2.704
18. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:13.333 + 3.323
19. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:13.345 + 3.335
20. Marques Minardi European (M) 1:13.368 + 3.358
21. Alesi Prost Acer (M) 1:13.485 + 3.475
22. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:13.969 + 3.959
All Timing Unofficial