Saturday May 12th, 2001
Ferrari's Michael Schumacher will start Sunday's Austrian Formula One Grand Prix from pole position alongside the Williams of Colombian hotshot Juan Pablo Montoya. The world champion lapped the A1 Ring in 1:09.562, shattering the 2000 pole time of 1:10.410 set by McLaren's Mika Hakkinen.
Schumacher had a late scare on his final flying lap when the Arrows of Dutchman Jos Verstappen spun in front of him and he had to take evasive action at speed, running wide into the gravel. It was the 37th pole of Schumacher's career and his fifth in six races this season. More impressively, it was the German's ninth in the last 10 races.
Montoya, second in the last race in Spain and sounding confident on a sunny weekend in southern Austria, set up what could be a dramatic start with a second fastest time of 1:09.686. The Colombian newcomer has a reputation for respecting no reputations and hit the headlines in Brazil when he audaciously overtook Schumacher to lead the race.
He also made a blistering start in Barcelona, running sixth at the first corner after starting in 12th place. Ralf Schumacher, Michael's younger brother and Montoya's team mate, was third fastest and will start alongside Ferrari's Brazilian Rubens Barrichello who was fourth.
The McLarens of double champion Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard struggled, with Briton Coulthard seventh fastest and Finland's Hakkinen eighth.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:09.562 223.881 km/h
2. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:09.686 + 0.124
3. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:09.769 + 0.207
4. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:09.786 + 0.224
5. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:10.202 + 0.640
6. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:10.211 + 0.649
7. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:10.331 + 0.769
8. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:10.342 + 0.780
9. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:10.396 + 0.834
10. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:10.435 + 0.873
11. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) 1:10.923 + 1.361
12. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:11.058 + 1.496
13. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:11.632 + 2.070
14. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:11.752 + 2.190
15. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:11.823 + 2.261
16. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:12.187 + 2.625
17. Burti Prost Acer (M) 1:12.206 + 2.644
18. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:12.640 + 3.078
19. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:12.644 + 3.082
20. Alesi Prost Acer (M) 1:12.910 + 3.348
21. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:13.459 + 3.897
22. Marques Minardi European (M) 1:13.585 + 4.023
All Timing Unofficial