Thursday May 24th, 2001
Mika Hakkinen made a pleasing return to the top of the timesheets by beating Michael Schumacher in Thursday's free practice for the Monaco Grand Prix.
The session was stopped three quarters of the way through when Juan Pablo Montoya had a big shunt in the swimming pool complex but survived unscathed.
Montoya's teammate Ralf Schumacher ended the session third, but also had a big smash at the swimming pool at the end of the session.
Rubens Barrichello was fourth, and David Coulthard was sixth with the Jordan pair of Jarno Trulli and Heinz-Harald Frentzen, complete with an unusual front wing, either side of him.
Coulthard touched the barrier early on and continued but Spaniard Fernando Alonso was not so lucky when he spun his Minardi into the wall at La Rascasse.
Both Jordan and Arrows were trying desperate measures to gain more downforce and both ran unusual wings, Arrows on the nose cone and Jordan's a T-shaped wing in front of the cockpit.
Nick Heidfeld had a quick spin, but the session was red-flagged with 15 minutes left to run when Juan Pablo Montoya hit both sides of the track in the swimming pool complex.
Eddie Irvine also spun at the end of the session, forcing Michael Schumacher to take avoiding action but Pedro de la Rosa was unable to complete a lap after his morning crash.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:19.853 151.929 km/h
2. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:20.316 + 0.463
3. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:20.938 + 1.085
4. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:20.959 + 1.106
5. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:21.048 + 1.195
6. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:21.091 + 1.238
7. Frentzen Jordan Honda (B) 1:21.505 + 1.652
8. Alesi Prost Acer (M) 1:21.935 + 2.082
9. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:22.010 + 2.157
10. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:22.035 + 2.182
11. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:22.214 + 2.361
12. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:22.302 + 2.449
13. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:22.800 + 2.947
14. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:22.807 + 2.954
15. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:23.409 + 3.556
16. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:23.662 + 3.809
17. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:24.026 + 4.173
18. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:24.105 + 4.252
19. Burti Prost Acer (M) 1:24.857 + 5.004
20. Marques Minardi European (M) 1:25.920 + 6.067
21. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:26.393 + 6.540
22. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:27.316 + 7.463
All Timing Unofficial