Tuesday November 27th, 2001
German driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen wants to stay with Prost if the troubled Formula One team manages to make it to next season's start in Australia in March.
"I think there is hope for a new start for the team," Frentzen told German weekly Motorsport Aktuell in an interview released on Tuesday. "Now we have to wait and see what happens. My decision on whether I stay with the team will have no influence on the situation."
Team chief Alain Prost said at the weekend he would be very proud if his team survived despite going into receivership last week. Frentzen has reportedly been approached by Arrows and Minardi but said he would prefer to carry on with Prost.
"What happened with Arrows is that I visited their factory, that's all," he said. "Prost is the best option for me because I'm familiar with the team and the car, which means I know more or less what to expect," he added.
Frentzen, who joined the Prost team in August after being dismissed by Jordan, hinted he would probably go to Minardi if Prost did not continue.
"I know that (Minardi boss) Paul Stoddart is very determined," the German said. "I gather they will have more money next year and there would be a possibility for me to help the team develop."
The 34-year-old, who has won three Grands Prix in his career, said he had no intention of retiring.
"I assume I will still be driving a Formula One car in 2002," he said. "I just don't happen to know which one."
Published at 15:25:24 GMT