Friday September 14th, 2001
Kimi Raikkonen, fresh from the news that he will move from Sauber to McLaren for next season, crashed out of Friday's first practice for the Italian Grand Prix.
Finn Raikkonen lost the front-right wheel of his Sauber after hitting a barrier at the first chicane. The Sauber driver was unhurt and walked back to the pits as his teammate Nick Heidfeld also crashed out at turn seven to leave Sauber without an undamaged car for the second session.
Ferrari's Michael Schumacher topped the times in the session as his team opted to fit their cars with black nose cones and have no sponsors on their chassis. David Coulthard was second in the times for McLaren, while his teammate Mika Hakkinen was fifth after announcing his break from the sport next year.
Arrows driver Jos Verstappen also suffered a crash early in the session as he slammed his car into a tyre wall at the Curva di Lesmos. He was unable to set a competitive time in the session.
New drivers Tomas Enge and Alex Yoong, for Prost and Minardi respectively, also held their own in the session as they finished 20th and 21st.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:25.524 243.847 km/h
2. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:25.592 + 0.068
3. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:25.728 + 0.204
4. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:25.740 + 0.216
5. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:26.053 + 0.529
6. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:26.197 + 0.673
7. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:26.701 + 1.177
8. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:26.843 + 1.319
9. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:27.001 + 1.477
10. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:27.066 + 1.542
11. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:27.259 + 1.735
12. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:27.276 + 1.752
13. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:27.401 + 1.877
14. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:27.502 + 1.978
15. Frentzen Prost Acer (M) 1:27.644 + 2.120
16. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:27.667 + 2.143
17. Alesi Jordan Honda (B) 1:28.148 + 2.624
18. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:28.866 + 3.342
19. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:29.184 + 3.660
20. Enge Prost Acer (M) 1:29.948 + 4.424
21. Yoong Minardi European (M) 1:31.192 + 5.668
22. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 5:43.120 + 4:17.596
All Timing Unofficial
Published at 09:52:56 GMT