Friday September 14th, 2001
Williams pair Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya showed that they will probably be the men to beat at this weekend's Italian Grand Prix by taking a one-two at the top of the timesheets in Friday's second free practice session.
Michael Schumacher was third in the black-nosed Ferrari, but he was almost half a second slower than his brother Ralf, who was fastest. Jaguar driver Pedro de la Rosa knocked Schumacher's Ferrari teammate Rubens Barrichello down to fifth to stop a Ferrari three-four, while the McLarens finished sixth and seventh with Mika Hakkinen ahead of David Coulthard.
Brief light rain had greeted the cars as they headed onto the track, and Eddie Irvine was caught out early to end his day prematurely when he spun his Jaguar into the gravel trap and was unable to get back onto the track. Heinz-Harald Frentzen slowed in his Prost and cut the chicane, with Juan Pablo Montoya doing the same behind him.
But two minutes later Montoya went second fastest, one place behind Williams teammate Ralf Schumacher to take the team to a provisional one-two at the top of the timesheets. Frentzen had his second off in ten minutes when he slid wide and headed over the gravel, narrowly missing the barrier before returning to the track and cruising back to the pits.
Neither of the Saubers made it on track following their crashes in the earlier practice session, but Jos Verstappen did get out following his earlier mishap in his Arrows.
Pos Driver Team Times
1. R.Schumacher Williams BMW (M) 1:24.667 246.316 km/h
2. Montoya Williams BMW (M) 1:25.067 + 0.400
3. M.Schumacher Ferrari (B) 1:25.131 + 0.464
4. de la Rosa Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:25.205 + 0.538
5. Barrichello Ferrari (B) 1:25.311 + 0.644
6. Hakkinen Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:25.343 + 0.676
7. Coulthard Mclaren Mercedes (B) 1:25.544 + 0.877
8. Heidfeld Sauber Petronas (B) 1:25.740 + 1.073
9. Alesi Jordan Honda (B) 1:25.849 + 1.182
10. Frentzen Prost Acer (M) 1:25.860 + 1.193
11. Fisichella Benetton Renault (M) 1:25.911 + 1.244
12. Trulli Jordan Honda (B) 1:25.987 + 1.320
13. Button Benetton Renault (M) 1:26.197 + 1.530
14. Panis BAR Honda (B) 1:26.354 + 1.687
15. Villeneuve BAR Honda (B) 1:26.521 + 1.854
16. Raikkonen Sauber Petronas (B) 1:26.701 + 2.034
17. Alonso Minardi European (M) 1:26.972 + 2.305
18. Bernoldi Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:27.217 + 2.550
19. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth (M) 1:27.401 + 2.734
20. Enge Prost Acer (M) 1:27.662 + 2.995
21. Verstappen Arrows Asiatech (B) 1:27.900 + 3.233
22. Yoong Minardi European (M) 1:28.250 + 3.583
All Timing Unofficial
Published at 12:03:26 GMT