Sunday May 7th, 2000
World champion Mika Hakkinen took his first win of the season when he led McLaren team mate David Coulthard home in Sunday's Spanish Formula One Grand Prix. It was the Finn's first victory since last year's season-ending Japanese Grand Prix and the 15th of his career, reviving his challenge for a third successive title.
Hakkinen is now second overall with 22 points behind championship-leading German Michael Schumacher of Ferrari on 36. Coulthard, who was unhurt in a plane crash that killed two pilots on Tuesday, is third on 20 points.
Schumacher led the race from pole position but his hopes of a fourth win in five starts were wrecked by two disappointing pit stops, the first injuring Ferrari's British chief mechanic Nigel Stepney.
At the second, stand-in refueller Andrea Vaccari supervised a stop which lasted 17.5 seconds and cost Schumacher the lead. The German crossed the line in fifth place.
Schumacher's teammate, Brazilian Rubens Barrichello, finished third in the race with Ralf Schumacher in a Williams beating his brother to the finish in fourth.
German driver Heinz Harald Frentzen took the remaining point for the Jordan team in sixth place.
PROVISIONAL RACE RESULTS
Spanish Grand Prix
Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelone;
65 laps, 307.323 Kms;
Weather: Dry, partly cloudy.
Pos Driver Team
1. Hakkinen McLaren Mercedes 1h 33:50.390
2. Coulthard McLaren Mercedes + 16.066
3. Barrichello Ferrari + 29.112
4. R.Schumacher Williams BMW + 37.311
5. M.Schumacher Ferrari + 47.983
6. Frentzen Jordan Mugen-Honda + 1:21.925
7. Salo Sauber Petronas + 1 Lap
8. Zonta BAR Honda + 1 Lap
9. Fisichella Benetton Playlife + 1 Lap
10. Wurz Benetton Playlife + 1 Lap
11. Irvine Jaguar Cosworth + 1 Lap
12. Trulli Jordan Mugen-Honda + 1 Lap
13. Herbert Jaguar Cosworth + 1 Lap
14. Gene Minardi Fondmetal + 2 Lap
15. Mazzacane Minardi Fondmetal + 2 Lap
16. Heidfeld Prost Peugeot + 3 Lap
17. Button Williams BMW + 4 Lap *
* Retired with engine failure
Fastest Lap: M.Hakkinen, 1:24.470 (201.586 km/h)
Driver Team On Lap Reason
Verstappen Arrows Supertec 25 gearbox
Villeneuve BAR Honda 21 engine
Alesi Prost Peugeot 1 collision
de la Rosa Arrows Supertec 1 collision
Diniz Sauber Petronas 0 Spun off
Lap Leaders: Laps 01-23: Schumacher;
Laps 24-26: Hakkinen;
Laps 27-41: M.Schumacher;
Laps 42-65: Hakkinen.
World Championship Standing, Round 5:
1. M.Schumacher 36 1. Ferrari 49
2. Hakkinen 22 2. McLaren 42
3. Coulthard 20 3. Williams-BMW 15
4. Barrichello 13 4. Jordan-Mugen Honda 9
= R.Schumacher 12 = Benetton-Playlife 8
6. Fisichella 8 6. BAR-Honda 6
7. Villeneuve 5 7. Sauber 1
= Frentzen 5
9. Trulli 4
10. Button 3
11. Zonta 1
= Salo 1
All timing unofficial