Berger Backs Button to Keep Williams Seat
Wednesday May 31st, 2000
BMW Motorsport director Gerhard Berger indicated on Wednesday that Britain's Jenson Button was likely to hang on to his seat in the Williams Formula One team next season.
But the Austrian acknowledged the strong claims of Colombian Juan Montoya, a former Williams test driver, who won the Indianopolis 500 on Sunday.
Montoya remains under contract with Williams even though he is racing in America this year.
Berger said he was highly impressed with the attitude and performances of 20-year-old Button who was stopped for speeding in France while driving a diesel-engined BMW at more than 200 kph last week.
"Everyone knows that the whole situation is still open for next year," said Berger.
"I think Juan-Pablo did a very good job and everyone thinks very highly of him. He got a very good result and won last weekend, but Jenson has done a fantastic job this year for some who is so young and so inexperienced.
"There is plenty of time for us to wait and see what he does in the next few races and to see if he can continue his performances. I think he has a very good claim to be in the team."